Steps taken by CIL to improve Coal Production from Underground Mines
• Planning new underground mines adopting mass production systems like continuous miner technology and longwall technology wherever feasible.
• Entering into risk / gain sharing arrangements with the equipment suppliers for guaranteed levels of production and maintenance of equipment
• Undertaking thorough geo-mining investigations before the formulation of the projects
• Training of manpower.
• Replacing manual loading with loading machines like Side Discharge Loaders (SDLs), Load Haul Dumpers (LHDs) in conjunction with belt conveyers wherever feasible
• Providing man riding systems to reduce travel time of miners
• Introducing multi skilled job concepts etc.
• Create adequate infrastructural facilities for ventilation, bunkerage, coal evacuation, out-bye transportation, mechanized tunnelling, shaft sinking, roof supporting.
• Delineate new blocks amenable for longwall technology with super block concept.
This was stated by Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal & New and Renewable Energy in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.