Rescue Operation at Siachen
On the night of 02/03 Feb, 2016, a massive ice wall facing Sonam Post in Northern Glacier (Siachen) suddenly collapsed and 10 Army personnel were trapped under it. All possible resources of the Army/Air Force were mobilized and directed towards the rescue operation launched to rescue them. On 08th Feb, 2016, mortal remains of five soldiers were recovered and Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad was rescued alive. On 09th Feb, 2016, mortal remains of the remaining four soldiers were recovered. Lance Naik Koppad, however, expired on 11th Feb, 2016 despite medical efforts at Research and Referral Hospital, New Delhi.
The details of benefits/compensation admissible to Next of Kin of the soldiers (fatal battle casualties) is as under:
MONETARY COMPENSATION TO SOLDIERS’ FAMILIES:
Ex Gratia Lump Sum Compensation from Central Government:
- Death occurring due to accidents in the course of duties – Rs.10.00 lakh
- Death in the course of duties attributable to acts of violence by terrorists, etc. -Rs.10.00 lakh
- Death occurring during enemy action in war or border skirmishes or in action against militants, terrorists, etc. – Rs.15.00 lakh
- Death occurring during enemy action in International war or war like engagements specifically notified – Rs.20.00 lakh
- Death occurring while on duty in the specified high altitude, inaccessible border posts, etc. on account of natural disasters, extreme weather conditions – Rs.15.00 lakh.
Details of other Monetary Benefits entitled to Next of Kin (NoK) of Battle Casualty:
- Liberalised Family Pension as applicable to Battle Casualty that is equal to emoluments last drawn by the deceased individual.
- Death-cum-Retirement Gratuity that is based on length of service rendered and emoluments last drawn by the deceased individual.
- Army Group Insurance Fund:-
o Officers : Rs. 60.00 lakh
o JCO/ORs : Rs. 30.00 lakh
- Army Group Insurance Maturity that is based on the contribution made by the deceased Army personnel.
- Army Wives Welfare Association Fund:-
o Officers : Rs.10,000/-
o JCOs/ORs : Rs.15,000/-
- Army Officers Benevolent Fund:-
o Officers : Rs.50,000/-
- Army Central Welfare Fund: Rs.30,000/-
o Education Concession Card
o Air Travel Concession Card
o Telephone Concession
This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Shri R Gopalakrishnan in Lok Sabha today.
Source Ministry of Defence26-February, 2016