MINISTRY OF FINANCE
(Department of Revenue)
(CENTRAL BOARD OF DIRECT TAXES)
Notification No. 103/2016
New Delhi, the 7th November, 2016
S.O. 3399(E).-In exercise of the powers conferred by section 32, section 115BA and section 295 of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961), the Central Board of Direct Taxes, hereby, makes the following rules further to amend the Income-tax Rules, 1962, namely:-
(1) These rules may be called the Income-tax (29th Amendment) Rules, 2016.
(2) In the Income-tax Rules, 1962 ( here after referred to as the principal rules),-
(a) in rule 5, after sub-rule (1), the following proviso shall be inserted with effect from 1st day of April, 2016, namely:-
“Provided that in case of a domestic company which has exercised option under sub-section (4) of section 115BA, the allowance under clause (ii) of sub-section (1) of section 32 in respect of depreciation of any block of assets entitled to more than forty per cent. shall be restricted to forty per cent. on the written down value of such block of assets.”
(b) in the New Appendix I, in the Table, in the second column, for the figures “ ‘50’, ‘60’, ‘80’, ‘100’ ”, wherever they occur, the figure “40” shall be substituted with effect from the 1st day of April, 2017.
PITAMBAR DAS, Director (Tax Policy And Legislation)
Note : The principal rules were published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (ii) vide notification number S.O. 969 (E), dated the 26th March, 1962 and last amended by the Income-tax (28th Amendment) Rules, 2016, vide notification number G.S.R No.982(E),dated the 17.10.2016.
Editor Note section 115BA of Income tax Act inserted by Section 51 of Finance Acts – 2016, Relevant Extract are
Insertion of new section 115BA.
51. After section 115B of the Income-tax Act, with effect from the 1st day of April, 2017, the following section shall be inserted, namely:—
“115BA. Tax on income of certain domestic companies.—(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act but subject to the provisions of section 111A and section 112, the income-tax payable in respect of the total income of a person, being a domestic company, for any previous year relevant to the assessment year beginning on or after the 1st day of April, 2017, shall, at the option of such person, be computed at the rate of twenty-five per cent, if the conditions contained in sub-section (2) are satisfied.
(2) For the purposes of sub-section (1), the following conditions shall apply, namely:—
|(a)||the company has been set-up and registered on or after the 1st day of March, 2016;|
|(b)||the company is not engaged in any business other than the business of manufacture or production of any article or thing and research in relation to, or distribution of, such article or thing manufactured or produced by it; and|
|(c)||the total income of the company has been computed,—|
|(i)||without any deduction under the provisions of section 10AA or clause (iia) of sub-section (1) of section 32 or section32AC or section 32AD or section 33AB or section 33ABA or sub-clause (ii) or sub-clause (iia) or sub-clause (iii) of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2AA) or sub-section (2AB) of section 35 or section 35AC or section 35AD or section 35CCC or section 35CCD or under any provisions of Chapter VI-A under the heading “C.—Deductions in respect of certain incomes” other than the provisions of section 80JJAA;|
|(ii)||without set off of any loss carried forward from any earlier assessment year if such loss is attributable to any of the deductions referred to in sub-clause (i); and|
|(iii)||depreciation under section 32, other than clause (iia) of sub-section (1) of the said section, is determined in the manner as may be prescribed.|
(3) The loss referred to in sub-clause (ii) of clause (c) of sub-section (2) shall be deemed to have been already given full effect to and no further deduction for such loss shall be allowed for any subsequent year.
(4) Nothing contained in this section shall apply unless the option is exercised by the person in the prescribed manner on or before the due date specified under sub-section (1) of section 139 for furnishing the first of the returns of income which the person is required to furnish under the provisions of this Act:
Provided that once the option has been exercised for any previous year, it cannot be subsequently withdrawn for the same or any other previous year.”.