Policy Initiatives for Enhancing Indigenous Production of Oil and Gas
The Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum & Natural Gas Shri Dharmendra Pradhan informed the Rajya Sabha in a written reply today that in order to accelerate the pace of exploration and enhance production of oil and gas in the country, the Government has taken various policy initiatives which are as under:
Early monetization of discoveries
- Appraisal of about 1.5 million sq. km un-appraised area of the Indian Sedimentary Basins.
- Re-assessment of Hydrocarbon Resources.
- Setting up of National Data Repository.
- Policy for exploration and exploitation of Shale Gas/Shale Oil resources by NOCs under the Nomination Regime.
- Policy for exploration in the Mining Lease (ML) areas after the expiry of exploration period.
- Offering of exploration blocks through bidding round.
- Policy on Non-exclusive Multi-client Speculative Survey for assessment of unexplored sedimentary basins.
- Policy framework for relaxations, extensions and clarifications at the development and production stage under the PSC regime for early monetisation of hydrocarbon discoveries.
- Policy on Testing Requirements for Discoveries under New Exploration & Licensing Policy (NELP) Blocks
- Use of modern technology for maximizing production from mature fields.
- Improving recovery factor.
Consumption of Petrol, Diesel and LPG for the last five years is given below:
(All Figures are in TMT)
The Government has initiated various steps to promote conservation of petroleum products in the transport, industrial, agricultural and domestic sectors. These include adoption of measures and practices which are conducive to increase fuel efficiency and training programme in the transport sector; modernisation of boilers, furnaces and other oil operated equipment with efficient ones and promotion of fuel efficient practices and equipment in the industrial sector; standardisation of fuel efficient irrigation pump sets and rectification of existing pump sets to make them more energy efficient in the agricultural sector and development as well as promotion of the use of fuel efficient equipment and appliances like kerosene and LPG stoves in the household sector. These activities are promoted and coordinated by the Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) and Oil Marketing Companies under the guidance and supervision of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
Source Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas 02-March, 2016