Indian Railways dedicated two more services to the Nation : (I) Printing of Bar Code on Unreserved tickets to Prevent Fraud and (II) Auto Hub on Walajabad, near Chennai in Southern Railway
Indian Railways is committed to make Railway System Passenger Friendly and respond to the needs of Passengers : Suresh Prabhu
In its way to further improve passenger amenities and to increase railway revenue, Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu in a programme held today i.e. 01.03.2016 at Rail Bhawan, New Delhi inaugurated through Video-Conferencing two services namely (1) Bar-coding of Unreserved tickets at nominated counters on New Delhi, Delhi and Nizamuddin Railway Stations over Northern Railway and (II) Inauguration of Rail Auto Hub in Walajabad in Chennai Division Southern Railway. Shri Manoj Sinha, Minister of State for Railway was specially present to grace the occasion. On behalf of the Indian Railways, Chairman, Railway Board, Shri A.K. Mittal, Member Traffic, Railway Board, Shri Mohd. Jamshed and other Board Members were present on the occasion. Several Public representatives and Senior officials from both the sides of Southern and Northern Railways witnessed the occasion. Out of these two services, Bar Coding of Unreserved Tickets was very recently announced by the Railway Minister in his Rail Budget Speech of 2016-17 and has been implemented as an immediate Action on Rail Budget 2016-17.
Speaking on the occasion about these two services, Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu, stated that to improve passenger amenities and increase freight revenue Indian Railways has adopted multiple strategies including reach to multi commodity cargo. He said that in the direction to generate revenue through cargo, the Rail Auto Hub on Walajabad, Chennai is our initial step and Indian Railways is further working on how to get more auto transportation into the Railway Track. He said that Railways cannot rely upon only one business partner and this is the way to do business and thus reach to cargo is essential to generate/increased freight revenue.
Further, mentioning the salient features of the another service of Bar Coding of Unreserved Ticket through Thermal Printer Shri Suresh Prabhu said that this New Bar Coding system on unreserved rail tickets will stop possible fraudulent activities which will help in more railways revenue. He said that Indian Railways will ensure that we get proper revenues that are due to the Railways and also ensure that there should be better governance which will ultimately help railway passengers.
Salient Features of the Services :-
WALAJABAD AUTO HUB ON SOUTHERN RAILWAY
- Walajabad station of Chennai division in Southern Railway is being developed as the first common user Auto Hub on Indian Railways.
- The station is located near the major Auto units of Oragadam, SriPerambadur and SingaPerumal Kovil areas which are having the manufacturing facilities of M/s Nissan, M/s Hyundai, M/s Ford and M/s Daimler Chrysler.
- Spread over 5000 sq.meters, this hub will have loading capacity of 300 four wheelers.
- This hub would cater to over 1 million units of 4-wheelers being produced every year in this area.
- Walajabad Auto hub, would act as an ideal distribution centre for the inward traffic of M/s TATA, M/s Honda, etc. converging for distribution into Tamilnadu and adjoining states, including Pondicherry.
- While hinterland traffic is the prime segment, Indian Railway shall be able to capture export traffic which will move to ports of Chennai and Ennore.
- The hub has seamless road connectivity of 4/6 lanes to the production and consumption centres.
- Adequate lighting and fencing for security is also being developed.
- Presently, 4% automobile traffic are transported through Indian Railway and approximately Rs.100 crore revenue has been collected during financial year 2015-16 so far through this traffic.
- Target is to increase the share of Railways to around 20% by 2026.
BAR-CODING OF UNRESERVED TICKET THROUGH THERMAL PRINTER
Minister of Railways had announced Bar-Coding of Unreserved tickets in Rail Budget speech of 2016-17. Salient feature of Bar-coding are as under:
- Printing of Bar-code on unreserved ticket through thermal printer to speed up the ticket issue, and more importantly to check frauds.
- Printing of encrypted QR code on Unreserved Tickets will be implemented at New Delhi, Delhi Jn. and Hazrat Nizamuddin stations as a pilot project.
- The bar code being printed is QR (Quick Response) code by use of a thermal printer. This will save aprrox. 3seconds in the printing cycle of unreserved ticket.
- Presently, following information is printed in the form of encrypted QR code:-
1) UTS Number
2) Stock Number
3) Ticket Fare
4) Source Station
5) Destination Station
6) Number of Adults
7) Number of Children
8) Train Type
9) Class Code
10) Date of Journey
- Whenever Ticket Checking Staff (TTEs/TCs) checks ticket, he can scan encrypted QR code and after decryption of data, he can validate the information printed on the ticket.
Source Ministry of Railways 01-March, 2016