Major policy decisions related to Steel & Mines Sector accorded in-principle approvals in meeting between Union Steel & Mines Minister and Chief Minister, Odisha at Bhubaneswar yesterday
Minister of Steel & Mines Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, who is on a 2-day visit to Odisha met Chief Minister, Odisha Shri Naveen Patnaik at Bhubaneswar yesterday.
Shri Tomar raised issues related to development of steel and mines sector in the state, to which the Chief Minister responded positively and assured all possible help and speedy action.
On issues raised by Shri Tomar, major points of discussion and decision included :
- In-principle approval for allocation of Potangi mines to NALCO. This is critical for expansion of Damanjori Unit capacity by 1 million tonne, at an investment of around Rs. 6000 crore
- In-principle approval accorded for giving PL for Thakurani mines block-A to SAIL and resolution of Bolani mines and Barsua mines issue. Concrete action to be taken in a month or two.
- Expediting setting up of District Mineral Foundations in different districts, in addition to the 12 districts where DMF has been set up already. Efforts will be made to set up DMF in remaining districts and amending the DMF rules, within this month.
- Extending full support of MECL in facilitating G-2 level exploration of mine blocks
- Consideration of making royalty of iron ore lumps and fines different in line with the practice in other states for revival of steel and mining sector. At present lumps and fines are being charged same royalty rates in Odisha.
- Expediting renewal of ML of mines, which are pending owing to different reasons. Only 80 out of 400 major mineral mines in Odisha are operational at present.
Shri Patnaik sought support from centre on
- Approval of GOI under Section-6 (1) for grant of mineral concessions for 3000 hectares Karlapet Bauxite deposit in Kalahandi district. State government had reserved the deposit for Odisha Mining Corporation under Section-17 A. The proposal is to grant ML for 1848 hectares and PL for 1157 hectares.
- Setting up of Aluminium Park by NALCO in Odisha.
Shri Tomar assured of all possible help in these areas.
Press release Ministry of Steel 08-January, 2016