Mental Health Policy
• to reduce distress, disability, exclusion, morbidity and premature mortality associated with mental health problems across life-span of a person,
• to enhance understanding of mental health in the country,
• to provide universal access to mental health care,
• to increase access to mental health services for vulnerable groups,
• to reduce risk and incidence of suicide and attempted suicide,
• to ensure respect for rights and protection from harm of persons with mental health problems, and reduce stigma associated with mental health problems
• to enhance availability and distribution of skilled human resources for mental health.
The Government has approved the continued implementation of the National Mental Health Programme during the 12th Five Year Plan period with additional components. The financial support for establishment of each Centre of Excellence in the field of mental health has been increased from Rs. 30 crores to Rs. 33.70 crores per Centre.
With the objective to address the shortage of mental health professionals in the country, 15 Centres of Excellence in Mental Health and 35 PG training departments in mental health specialties to increase the PG training capacity in mental health as well as improving the tertiary care treatment facility have been funded.
During the current Plan period, the District Mental Health Programme (DMHP) has been extended to 118 new districts in addition to the 123 districts of the 11th Five Year Plan period. Under DMHP, enhanced financial assistance is being provided to the districts for detection, management and treatment of mental disorders/ illness and additional components like suicide prevention services, work place stress management, life skills training and counselling in schools and colleges, etc. Financial support has been increased from Rs. 46.37 lakhs to Rs. 83.70 lakhs per district per year.
Sufficient financial assistance is also provided to the three Central Institutions viz. National Institute of Mental Health And Neuro Sciences, Bangalore, LokopriyaGopinathBordoloi Regional Institute of Mental Health, Tezpur and Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi.
The Health Minister, Shri J P Nadda stated this in a written reply in the Lok Sabha here today.