Funds for Development of Minorities
The Ministry of Minority Affairs is implementing a number of programme/schemes for the development of minorities through Institutions/Non Government Organizations (NGOs)/State Governments in various States all over the country. These are given below:
- Schemes of area development – The Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) was launched in the year 2008-09 in the 90 identified Minority Concentrations Districts (MCDs) of 20 States/UTs to address the development deficits by creating socio-economic infrastructure and providing basic amenities. Project taken up under MsDP relates to provision of better infrastructure for IAY Anganwadi, Health, Water supply schemes, ITIs, Polytechnics, Cybergram Yojna, Skill Development etc. The Programme has been restructured in 2013-14 to make it more effective & more focused on the targeted minorities. In the restructured MsDP the unit area of planning has been changed to blocks/towns instead of district for sharper focus on the minority concentration areas and to increase minority coverage. The programme has now identified 710 Bocks, 66 towns and 15Cluster of villages in 196 Districts for implementation during 12th Plan.
- Schemes of educational empowerment – Ministry implements Pre-matric, Post-matric, Merit –cum-Means based scholarship and Maulana Azad national Fellowship. Under these schemes, 30% seats are earmarked for girls students. In addition, Maulana Azad Education Foundation implements a scheme exclusively for scholarship to girls belonging to minority communities. Assistance through institutions for free coaching is also provided to students for competitive examinations. A scheme ‘Padho Pardesh’ has been launched for interest subsidy on educational loans for minority students for their overseas studies. Another Scheme ‘Nai Udaan’ has also started for giving financial support to minority candidates clearing preliminary exams conducted by Union public Service Commission (UPSC), Staff Selection Commission (SSC) and State Public Service Commissions (SPSCs). Further, to strengthen educational infrastructure, construction of school, additional classrooms, etc. is taken up under Multi-sectoral Development Programme. A new scheme namely ‘Nai Manzil’ – an integrated educational and livelihood initiative for Minority Communities has also been launched on 08.08.2015 on pilot basis for formal education of school dropouts and Madarsa students to enhance their education and skill for gainful employment.
iii. Scheme for economic empowerment – National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC) provides concessional loans to minorities. Ministry has also launched “Seekho aur Kamao (Learn & Earn)” for placement linked skill development of minorities in the year 2013-14 and it is implemented through Project Implementing Agencies (PIAs). The scheme envisages a minimum of 75% employment of trained minority youth and out of them 50% in organized sector. Maulana azad National Academy for Skill (MANAS) has been established on 11.11.2014 as special purpose vehicle for addressing all skill development needs of minority community, to ensure provision of sustainable livelihood to them, with emphases on self employment. A new scheme ‘Upgradation of Skills & Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development (USTTAD)’ has also been launched for implementation. The scheme aims at capacity building of minority artists and craftsmen including lesser known artists/craftsmen.
- Scheme for Women empowerment – Ministry started “Nai Roshni”, an exclusive Leadership Development programme for Minority Women during 2012-13. The scheme aims to empower and instill confidence among minority women by providing knowledge, tools and techniques for interacting with Government systems, banks and other institutions. It is run through NGOs
- Development of vulnerable minority community – Ministry has launched a scheme with the name “Jiyo Parsi” during 2012-13 for containing population decaling of Parsis in India. The scheme provides for financial assistance to Parsi married couples for medical treatment under standard medical protocols and also focus on advocacy/outreach programmes to generate awareness among Parsi population for lineage enhancement.
- Prime Minister’s New 15 Point Programme – The Ministry is also implementing Prime Minister’s New 15 Point Programme for welfare of minorities. It is an overarching programme covering various schemes/initiatives of different Ministries/Departments by either earmarking 15% of targets/outlays for minorities or specific monitoring of flow of benefits/funds to minorities or areas with substantial minority population.
The assistance is provided through budgetary provision kept for each of these schemes in the annual budget of the Ministry. The amount sanctioned by the Ministry for these schemes in various States including Rajasthan for the last year is enlisted.
Funds released to States under MsDP for Infrastructure Development during 2015-16
|Sl. No.||State||During 2015-16|
|Projects Approved||Fund Released|
|Rs. in lakh|
|11||Andaman & Nicobar Island||–||388.83|
|16||Jammu & Kashmir||917.33||426.98|
State -wise expenditure under Free Coaching and Allied Scheme to the Institutions for the candidates belonging to minority communities during the year 2015-16
|No. of students||Amount released (in Rs. lakhs)|
|1||Andaman & Nicobar||0|
|8||Dadar & Nagar Haveli||–||–|
|9||Daman and Diu||–||–|
|15||Jammu and Kashmir||120||18.5|
|Fund released to the Project Implementing Agencies (PIAs) for Implementation of “Seekho Aur Kamao (Learn and Earn) in the States during last three years|
|Amount released (Rs. in Lakh)|
|10||Jammu & Kashmir||899.70|
|31||Maulana Azad National Academy for Skills (All over the Country focus on Madarsas||8255.80|
|Sub – Total||19196.14|
| NATIONAL MINORITIES DEVELOPMENT & FINANCE CORPORATION
Statement showing fund disbursed to States/SCA’s during 2015-16)
|Amount Rs. In Lakh|
|Term Loan||Micro Finance|
|Amount Disbursed||Amount Disbursed|
|10||Jammu & Kashmir||3794.00||90.00|
|Fund released to the Non-Governmental Organizations for Implementation of the Scheme of Leadership Development of Minority Women (Nai Roshni) during last three years|
|Sr. No.||States||Fund Release (in Rs. Lakh)|
|10||Jammu & Kashmir||0.32|
This Information was given by the Minister of State Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.