Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs 06-October, 2015
The Next Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Conference is to be held in New Delhi from 08th – 10th January, 2016
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Conference 2016 is to be held at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, Jose Rizal Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110021 from 08th – 10th January, 2016. The PBD Conference 2016 is being planned differently with an objective for developing a new paradigm for engagement with the Diaspora over the next decade.
- After the inaugural session, PBD conference 2016 will have a Plenary Session, with the Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs and Cabinet Ministers of Government of India and Chief Ministers of States attending it. Fourteen (14) Working Groups consisting 7 -8 overseas experts from all over the world and 2 -3 Indian experts will then discuss various issues of national importance. The Committee Chairs will finalise and present reports by next day to the Government. There will be a valedictory session thereafter.
- Participation in the PBD Conference will be through invitation only and not through the on-line registration as in earlier PBDs. The Indian Missions/Posts abroad have been addressed to identify eminent overseas experts from among overseas Indians on the subjects identified. While the earlier PBDs focussed only on meetings with the Diaspora, PBD Conference 2016 would be an attempt to do an expert study on various issues concerning the Diaspora and areas of mutual benefit to India and to them. It was felt that the relevant issues have to be examined at this stage objectively with expert opinion. This would be essential for making new policies for the benefit of India and the Diaspora. The traditional PBD convention will be held every alternative year, with the partner State. Such a convention would be held in 2017.
Winners of an Online Diaspora Quiz will be felicitated at the PBD.
Diaspora Online Quiz: Bharat ko Jaaniye
- Hon’ble Prime Minister had announced during the PBD 2015 that an online Diaspora Quiz will be organised for the benefit of Diaspora Youth, and that winners will be called for the next PBD.
- The Quiz will be thrown open to everyone but only NRIs and PIOs between 18 – 35 years will be eligible for prizes. The 20 finalists – 10 NRIs and 10 PIOs each will be brought to Delhi for the final round of the Quiz and 3 + 3 winners each will be felicitated in the PBD Conference 2016. Besides the above, there will be other prizes and benefits to be given to the 20 finalists of the Diaspora Quiz, such as certificates of appreciation and mementos of the occasion. A separate Know India Programme for this category would be organized so that they are given an opportunity to see the country.
The Quiz will be online from 12th November 2015. The Social Media campaign is to start from 07.10.2015.
Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Los Angeles
- The Government of India will be organising the 9th Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (RPBD) at Los Angeles California, USA on the 14th and 15th November 2015. This has already been announced to the press in an earlier release.
- The RPBD will be organised by the Consulate General of India San Francisco, and the Embassy of India, Washington DC in collaboration with the major community organisations of People of Indian Origin in the USA and the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Various official forums for India-US collaboration will also participate in the RPBD.
- The RPBD Los Angeles will celebrate the presence of the single largest population of overseas Indians in any one country and strengthen the social, economic and political bonds between India, the USA and the Indian Diaspora.
- India and the USA share a growing partnership in almost all sectors vital to their economies. Indian Americans have made a significant impact in IT, medicine, academia, banking, hospitality, science and technology and also as entrepreneurs engaged in thriving businesses. The RPBD Los Angeles will focus and build on these synergies and collaborations, through seminars and discussions involving major stake holders on both sides.
- The Overseas Indian Facilitation Center will also hold a business to business conference on the sidelines of the RPBD on the 14th November. MOIA and OIFC officials will interact with potential investors from the USA and guide them.
- The RPBD will have cultural performances symbolizing the significant media, cultural and entertainment engagement between the two largest industries in the world, Bollywood and Hollywood.
- We expect the RPBD Los Angeles to mark another milestone in India’s successful engagement and partnership with its Diaspora globally.