FED Master Direction No.5/2015-16
January 1, 2016
All Authorised Dealer Category – I banks and Authorised Banks
Madam / Dear Sir,
Master Direction – External Commercial Borrowings, Trade Credit, Borrowing and
Lending in Foreign Currency by Authorised Dealers and Persons other than Authorised Dealers
Transactions on account of External Commercial Borrowings (ECB) and Trade Credit are governed by clause (d) of sub-section 3 of section 6 of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA). Various provisions in respect of these two types of borrowings from overseas are included in the following three Regulations framed under FEMA:
- Foreign Exchange Management (Borrowing or Lending in Foreign Exchange) Regulations, 2000, notified vide Notification No. FEMA 3/2000-RB dated May 3, 2000;
- Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of any Foreign Security) Regulations, 2004, notified vide Notification No. FEMA 120/2004-RB dated July 07, 2004; and
- Foreign Exchange Management (Guarantees) Regulations, 2000, notified vide Notification No. FEMA 8/2000-RB dated May 03, 2000.
These Regulations are amended from time to time to incorporate the changes in the regulatory framework and published through amendment notifications.
2. Within the contours of the Regulations, Reserve Bank of India also issues directions to Authorised Persons under Section 11 of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999. These directions lay down the modalities as to how the foreign exchange business has to be conducted by the Authorised Persons with their customers/constituents with a view to implementing the regulations framed.
3. Instructions issued in respect of aforesaid borrowing transactions have been compiled in this Master Direction. The document also contains the terms and conditions related to borrowing and lending in foreign currency by authorised dealer and by persons other than authorised dealer. The list of underlying notifications/circulars which form the basis of this Master Direction is furnished in the Appendix. Reporting instructions can be found in Master Direction on reporting (Master Direction No. 18 dated January 16, 2016).
4. It may be noted that, whenever necessary, Reserve Bank shall issue directions to Authorised Persons through A.P. (DIR Series) Circulars in regard to any change in the Regulations or the manner in which relative transactions are to be conducted by the Authorised Persons with their customers/ constituents. TheMaster Direction issued herewith shall be amended suitably simultaneously.
(B P Kanungo)
Principal Chief General Manager