Steps to file Income tax return online
Step-1 : Register With Income Tax Department to file Income tax return online
To file Income tax return or to View your tax credit statement in Form 26AS you need to register yourself on the Income tax website https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
Step 2: Open the Income Tax portal to file Income tax return online
https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/, and under the download menu on the right hand side you will find the list of ITR for A.Y.2016-17 Download the Income Tax Return (ITR) form /EXCEL UTILITY applicable to you.
ITR 1 (SAHAJ) – For Individuals having Income from Salary & Interest.
ITR 2 – For Individuals & HUFs not having Income from Business or Profession
ITR 2A – For Individuals & HUFs not having Income from Business or Profession and Capital Gains and who do not hold foreign assets
ITR 3:- For Individuals/HUFs being partners in firms and not carrying out business or profession under any proprietorship
ITR 4:- For Individuals & HUFs having income from a proprietory business or profession
ITR 4S (SUGAM)- For Individuals/HUF/Partnership Firm having income from presumptive business
ITR 5 – For persons other than,- (i) individual, (ii) HUF, (iii) company and (iv) person filing ITR-7
ITR 6 – For Companies other than companies claiming exemption under section 11
ITR 7 –For persons including companies required to furnish return under sections 139(4A) or 139(4B) or 139(4C) or 139(4D) or 139(4E) or 139(4F)
Step 3: Check your TDS credit to file Income tax return online
Log on to the Income Tax Department’s portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ meant for filing taxes online using your Permanent Account Number (PAN), which will act as your user ID. Go to “My acccount” tab on the top and then click “view form 26AS (Tax Credit)” and click confirm ,and then again check the box of confirm screen and click proceed, Check the TDS of Relevant AY
Step 4:-Download the Excel Uitility (on Deskptop as you need to generate and locate the XML file after filing the form ) and Complete the form of Excel Utility to to file Income tax return online
Open the downloaded excel utility of ITR and complete the form by entering all the details.
Step 5 :- Validate and Confirm worksheets to file Income tax return online
Confirm all the information in the worksheet by clicking the ‘Validate’ tab & cross check the same from FORM 16(given by Employer for salary information and TDS ) ,Form No 16A (given by the Banks / Deductor for TDS dedcted on FDR’s, rent etc ,) and Form 26As (As per step-3)
Step 6:- Calculate and Pay the Tax before filing Income tax return online
Ascertain the tax payable by clicking the ‘Calculate Tax’ tab. Pay tax (if applicable) and enter the challan details in the tax return. Tax can be paid online through site https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp using Challan 280.
Step 7:- Generate XML File before filing Income tax return online
Proceed to generate an XML file and save it on your computer.
Step 8:- Login to E file Return to file Income tax return online
Log on to the Income Tax Department’s portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ meant for filing taxes online using your Permanent Account Number (PAN), which will act as your user ID.
Step 9 :- Upload the Return and file Income tax return online
Go to ‘Upload Return’ on the portal’s left panel and upload the saved XML file after selecting ‘AY 2015-2016 ‘ and the relevant form. You will be asked whether you wish to digitally sign the file. If you upload the return with digital signature the process of efiling of ITR gets completed on generation of Acknowledgement, if you didn’t use digital signature, you can use Electronic Verification Code (EVC) system as an alternate mode of verification rather than sending by post the manually signed ITR-V (acknowledgment) to CPC Bangalore.
EVC, a ten digit alpha-numeric code, to be provided using any of the 4 methods, namely –
a) internet banking,
b) AADHAR authentication,
c) Bank ATM card and
d) Combination of registered email and mobile number (where income is below Rs 5 lakhs and there is no refund).
- Guide on how to file Income Tax Return
- e-Filing Process of Income Tax Return :FAQ’s
- How to file Income Tax Return Online
- Income Tax Return Questions and Answers
- Consequences of non filing of Income tax return
- 7 Benefit of Filing Income Tax Return
- Fill Income Tax return after taking 7 precautions
- New facility for rectification of income tax return
- E-Sahyog to report mismatch in income tax return via sms and email
- Who will file the income tax return in case of Death of Person
- Income declared in return by Mistake can not be taxed
- How to file income tax return without sending signed copy of ITR-V to Banglore?
- What Banks sees in Income Tax Return before giving Loan
- Downloads Income Tax Return Utility AY 2016-17 (FY 2015-16)
- Needs to file income tax return even if income exempt from long term capital gain on sale of shares
- E-File of Income tax Return : check points
- e-Verify Income tax Returns -steps
- How to Link aadhar with PAN to e Verify Income Tax return
- CBDT allows Income tax return Electronic Verification Code through Banks A/c’s and Demat
- Trouble Shooting on e-Filing of Income Tax Return
- Why mismatch in Income tax return ?
- ITR V (Income Tax Return Acknowledgement) Do’s & Don’t
- Interest on accident compensation is Tax free
- Cash withdrawals from bank could not be taxed when credit receipts in bank were already taxed