MINISTRY OF ROAD TRANSPORT AND HIGHWAYS
New Delhi, the 2nd May, 2016
G.S.R. 478(E).— The following draft rules further to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, which the Central Government proposes to make in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 27, 41, 50, 109, 110 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) is hereby published as required by sub-section (1) of section 212 of the said Act for information of all persons likely to be affected thereby and notice is hereby given that the said draft will be taken into consideration after expiry of a period of thirty days from the date on which the copies of this notification as published in the Gazette of India are made available to the Public.
2. Any objections or suggestions which may be received from any person with respect to the said draft rules within the expiry of the period so specified will be considered by the Central Government.
3. Objections or suggestions, if any, may be sent to the Joint Secretary (Transport), Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Transport Bhawan, Parliament Street, New Delhi, within the period, specified above.
1. (1) These rules may be called the Central Motor Vehicles (—— Amendment) Rules, 2016.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their final publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 (hereafter referred as the said rules), after rule 125-E, the following rule shall be inserted namely.-
“125-F. Provision of Vehicle Location Tracking Device, Alert Button and CCTV.- (1) All motor vehicles used as transport vehicles, as defined under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) shall be equipped with or fitted with vehicle location tracking device, CCTV based surveillance system, and one or more emergency buttons as per the Table below:
Provided that the following category of vehicles shall be exempted from this rule:
(i) two wheelers;
(ii) goods carriage; and
(iii) any transport vehicle that does not require permit under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988).
Provided further that the specifications, testing and certification requirements of the Vehicle Location Tracking Device, alert button and CCTV based surveillance system shall be in accordance with such standard as may be published by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette.
Provided also that the Vehicle Location Tracking Device, Alert Button and CCTV surveillance system devices shall be fitted by the manufacturer or their dealer or the respective operators, as the case may be, in accordance with such standard as may be published by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette.
Note:- The principal rules were published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part-II, section 3, sub-section (i) vide notification number G.S.R. 590(E), dated the 2nd June, 1989 and last amended vide notification number ____(E) dated .