Reserve Bank of India
November 18, 2015
The Chairpersons/ CEOs of all Scheduled Commercial Banks/ Regional Rural Banks/ Local Area Banks/ All India Financial Institutions/ all NBFCs/ All Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks /State and Central Co-operative Banks (StCBs / CCBs) /All Payment System Providers/ System Participants and Prepaid Payment Instrument Issuers/ All authorised persons including those who are agents of Money Transfer Service Scheme
Dear Sir/ Madam,
Implementation of Section 51-A of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), 1967- Updates to Al-Qaida and Taliban Sanctions List
Please refer to our circular DBR. AML. No. 4897/ 14.06.001/ 2015-16 dated October 7, 2015 on the captioned subject releasing the update issued vide press release No.12066 dated September 30, 2015 and No. 12067 dated October 2, 2015 regarding UNSCR 1267(1999)/ 1989(2011) Committee’s Al Qaida Sanctions List and another circular DBR. AML. No. 14900/ 14.06.001/ 2014-15 dated April 7, 2015 regarding the update issued on March 27, 2015 pertaining to 1988 Committee’s Taliban Sanctions List.
2. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), UNP Division has now forwarded press releases No. SC/12082 dated October 14, 2015, No. SC/12097 dated October 26, 2015 and No. SC/12118 dated November 12, 2015 relating to amendments/ deletions pertaining to Al Qaida sanction list and another press release No. SC/12104 dated November 2, 2015 relating to addition of one entry to its 1988 Sanction List pertaining to Taliban.
Press releases pertaining to the update are available at:
Taliban: http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sc12104.doc.htm respectively
3. A link to updated list of individuals and entities linked to Al Qaida is available at:
and a link to updated list of individuals and entities linked to Taliban is available at:
4. Regulated Entities (REs) are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, REs should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
5. REs are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular DBOD.AML.BC. No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
6. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
7. A link of press releases in which the relevant changes to the list are announced are posted on the UNSC Sanction Committee’s website at the following URL:
Encl.: as above